Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 December 2011

the ugly sweater...and some other things =)

Blogging has been a challenge for me these last few weeks. It seems like I have nothing interesting, witty, humorous, to write about. I mean, (referring to my “the dog that just won’t die” post) my grandpa’s evil poodle still hasn’t died and I’m telling you, I’ve been waiting sixteen long dreadful years for that moment. And frankly I think it’d make a nice post. I could call it….oh let me see….”Curl up and die” after one of my favorite Relient K songs. Or maybe, “Ding dong the wicked dog is dead”, “How to cook poodles”, “The dog that didn’t go to heaven”….I could go on. Point being, I’m waiting patiently for this beast to die so I can write about it! I was also considering writing something super deep and intellectual sounding. However, I’m not the intellectual type and that and deepness walk hand in hand I guess. I was also thinking about writing about this great book I read called, “Be Intolerant (because some things are just stupid)”. Then I was thinking about writing of how commercial Christmas has become. But that’s depressing, and I’d like to stay away from bringin’ y’all down.
Then also I was considering writing about how my pastor’s cat is trying to kill me (I babysit his little girls and the cat has been attacking me at random.) but I just read on one of my favorite blogs (http://ibronco.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-commercial.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CoffeeThroughAStraw+%28Coffee+Through+a+Straw%29#!/2011/12/cat-problem.html) about how cat’s hate this guy and the guy hates cats….it was funny but, he totally stole my idea (actually in all honesty…he didn’t).
So I decided…finally… just to basically write about my day. Actually my yesterday. So prepare yourselves to read a post that has no point, no conclusion, but is in all reality just a jumble of random happenings.
I woke up Wednesday morning later than I usually do and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes I picked up my phone to check my texts. I opened one from my friend Autumn; she asked if I wanted to hangout downtown that afternoon around 1:30. I told her to meet me at Jolly’s Cookies and CafĂ©.
 Jolly’s ohhhhh oh oh Jolly’s…..I’ve been to just about every coffee shop in Petoskey and I must admit that Jolly’s is my favorite (Even though Jolly is the name of that dog that just won’t die).
 I’m not a fan of super sweet coffee = Jolly’s doesn’t make super sweet coffee
I hate those super crowded, dark, noisy, coffee shops = Jolly’s is light and homey and um, they have CHEESECAKE!
I love espresso for real = Jolly’s uses espresso like fat kids use sugar
So anyways, we met at Jolly’s.  We got up to order our coffee from a just barely six feet tall kid with tiny eyes and a face only his mother could love. While Autie and I were waiting I noticed an old man nearby eagerly anticipating his coffee’s arrival. I started looking around and pretending to be somewhat interested in my surroundings. Soon our coffees were done. The old man who was still waiting gasped and shouted, “Do you know what he put in your coffee?!?!” I smiled politely and shook my head, but before I could say “errrr no….” he continued in an overly excited voice, “FOUR SHOTS OF ESPRESSO! FOUR! FOUR SHOTS! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?” then he dragged me over to the middle of the room and got everyone’s attention, he pointed at me and hollered again, “THIS GAL HERE GOT FOUR SHOTS OF ESPRESSO!” Then he let out somewhat of a cackling, hacking, guffaw and I walked away stiffly as ten or so pairs of eyes followed me.  When I got away from the old guy, Autie and I exchanged a glance and giggled. Autie, being the super blogger that she is, took a billion pictures of our coffee and then later on our cheesecake before while and after we ate it.
Then I checked the time and remembered that I needed to shop for an ugly Christmas sweater for my youth group’s ugly Christmas sweater party. And so alas me and Autie walked through town up to one of the resale stores called “A Penny Saved”.  They’re kind of known for their old lady clothes (although I must admit that I’ve found a few cute-ish things there) so I figured this would be the perfect spot to find my ugly sweater. I was right, and I promptly walked out with a super soft/super hideous sweater complete with random beaded/sequined Christmas-y stuff.
After that, we ran around downtown doing random things such as looking at metronomes and Adele sheet music in Music Makers and taking tons of pictures in an alley. We also hung out in the park for awhile. There’s a railroad thing that runs through the park and I thought it’d be fun (considering my clumsiness + terrible balancing skills) to try and walk on one of the rails. While I was trying not to fall off this little rail, I felt something fall on my head. I stopped in my tracks and felt my head. I didn’t feel anything to I asked Autie to investigate. “Oh, I think it’s just a seed!” she said as she picked it out of my hair. The “seed” squished in her hand. Presently, we decided that it was a little ‘’gift’’ from a bird in the tree above me. We both squealed in disgust and decided the alley was safer.
After these events I rushed home in order to prepare for the ugly sweater party. When I got home, my mom asked me to run something up to my grandma (who lives like, a 3rd of a mile up the road from me). As I walked in the door my grandma started exclaiming about how beautiful my sweater was. I looked down at my “beautiful sweater” and didn’t have the heart to tell her that I was actually going to an ugly sweater party and I was hoping this would win first place.
It didn’t win first, and it was not (by far) the ugliest sweater there. Personally I thought that my friend Benny’s sweater was the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen, but he didn’t win either. Funny :)
One more thing, I was talking to our youth leader Matt, about this book “Be Intolerant” and he asked me to teach a lesson on it. I flipped out and told him that there’s no way. But he told me to pray about it. So I’ve been praying about it. Part of me SO wants to do it, it’s such a great lesson that really needs to be put out there. On the other hand…I have to be like…the worst public speaker ever. Last time I had a public speaking project, I felt like I was gonna puke and I talked so fast that I don’t think anyone got what I was saying. What do I do? Really you guys, I need your input. I mean, yeah in the end it’s between me and God…but people opinions help too.
So yep. There’s my blog post with no conclusion. Enjoy.

1 comment: