Total Pageviews

Friday 13 July 2012

Don't Feed the Hipsters

Don’t you just love stereotypes? I do. It’s so easy to put people in a box all neat and tidy, especially if you’re lazy type A like me. I could stereotype people all day. Like, take my brother for instance, he’s a total motorhead. My youth pastor? Boy next door. Psychopath. Dork. My cousin? Jock. My best guy? Musician. My best girl? She’s...well……… okay so; no one really knows what she is. (LOVE YOU AUTIE!)
Like I said. Stereotyping is easy. Almost as easy as writing a whole blog post using. Fragmented. Sentences.
I was thinking yesterday about what I’m generally stereotyped as and if people are labeling me correctly (according to me).
Things I’m most commonly labeled as:
That Homeschooled Kid
Religious/Christian
Musician
Hipster (actually should be at the top of the list because people ask me all the time if I am)
When someone first asked me if I was a hipster, I was thinking “Um…I thought hipsters were a kind of underwear. What the heck?” However, after doing a ton of research on Google (the fount of knowledge according to my boss) I found that hipsters are actually a group of people! And get this; at first glance I almost do resemble a hipster…except that I drive a car. Apparently owning a vehicle is super offensive in hipsterville. But really, you often see me roaming through wherever in an over sized plaid shirt, messy hair, and jeggings or something. And yes I drink tons of coffee, usually stuff I make myself. Also I’m big into buying local (except for a few Amazon splurges) and gardening (mostly herbs). Also, I like a lot of music that most people don’t “get”. Still. I’m not a hipster.
Reasons I’m not a hipster:
I’m conservative                                                                                                          
I take showers
I listen to Coldplay (And they’re way too popular for hipsters to listen to. Although, they probably “listened to them before they were popular”.)
I like almost everything
I try not to have an opinion on every single little thing
I’m too lazy to recycle (sorry mom)
I don’t have a bike as old as my grandmother
I don’t purposely contradict myself
I don’t obsess over indie bands to people that really don’t give a crap

I’m not trying to be a jerk here; I just think the whole idea is ludicrous. Another funny thing this website said is that hipsters love blogging and they almost always use BlogSpot/BLOGGER. Oh and they’re supposedly really sarcastic. If I put the hipster label on every sarcastic person who drinks coffee and buys locally….then about 56% of America's population are hipsters. Just sayin’.
I’m not saying, “Don’t label me a hipster” by all means, label me what you want. After all…what would the world be without nice little stereotyping boxes? So label away. Whatever you do, just don’t feed the hipsters.

1 comment:

  1. or if you do at least feed them organic tofu and a soymilk latte ;)

    ReplyDelete