Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 April 2012

What's in a name?

What’s in a name?
I’ve never really given it a whole lot of thought because after doing some internet research on the meaning of my name, all I found was “small shrub with poisonous berries”.
Not far from the truth.
Then my mom found this baby name book from like, the 70’s or something, and apparently the true meaning of “Holly” is actually “good luck”. My guess is, when my parents adopted me they weren’t quite sure what they were doing. They needed all the luck they could get because, let’s face it. I’m a handful….so they named me “good luck”.
Now, me and my little brother have always had a funny relationship. He….well….he doesn’t “act” like the youngest. He has none of their quirks. He acts like the oldest. He tells me what to do, and I do it, or ignore him. And like the mischievous younger sibling, I usually weasel my way out of everything by confusing people into agreeing with me.

                                                                                             ….Probably shouldn’t have said that.
The funny thing is, my brother’s name is James which is a derivative of Jacob which means, “Supplanter”.  Now, think back to Jacob in the Bible. He’s the one who stole his brother’s birthright. He became like THE OLDEST.
So I’ve decided that my twerpy little brother has supplanted. He took away my role of being the dreaded oldest.
Now I’ve been thinking about other names and how they suit the people I know, like, every Deborah that I’ve ever known has been strong, audacious, and occasionally cheeky!
And then there’re others, like “Bonnie” which means “sweet and good”. I know a lady named Bonnie, and she is one of the sweetest ladies I’ve ever met!
My dear friends’ mom’s name is Ann which means “full of grace, mercy and prayer”. She has to have grace, mercy, and prayer to put up with me hanging around the house all the time! I love you Mrs. Duran!!!!
Then there’s “Bridget” which means “mighty and strong”. My doctor’s name is Bridget. She’s as mighty and strong as summer days are long.
                                                                                       
That rhymed.
                 [Kind of.]
                               You’re welcome.

Also…I have this theory about guys named Steve….

                                                    ….but we’ll save that for another blog.

Anyways, all these people and their names have got me thinking…I have GOT to give my children good names.
So far, I’ve come up with “Zelda Adele” which basically means “the heroine, noble and kind of spirit” and “Wylie” which means “beguiling and charming”.  A few others I love are, “Zane” a derivative of John which means “gift of God”, “Zelig” which means “blessed”, “Leo” meaning “brave”, and “Birdie” (Yes it’s a [girl’s] name!) which means “sweet little bird”.
Yeah, I like that.                                                                                                                                                              
So how about your name/ name meaning? Does it suit your personality?

3 comments:

  1. "Autumn" is pretty self explanatory, but maybe, like your name, it has a deeper meaning from way back in the annals of time.
    I love the name Haven for a girl - it means 'safe place'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ariella" means "lioness of god"... and I guess that's always inspired me to stand tall for God. And Ella means "elfin" or "beautiful fairy woman". But I'm a little big for a fairy. (Tinkerbell I am not.) =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly - colorful and lovely even in the coldest times and bearing good fruit(berries) for all to see. Let's go with that meaning. :) You're a darling and always welcome - no 'extra grace required' when you're around. Thanks for the sweet word. Love you, dear.

    ReplyDelete